Friday, December 21, 2012

Finding The Location


You’ve sat down and reduced the amount of time you’ll spend on housework, yard work, and social activities.  The kids are at their grandparent’s, with a babysitter, or hanging out with friends.  The wife is out visiting the mother-in-law or your husband’s out fishing with the boys.  Then the fear kicks in: you actually have to write.
For most writers, we like a particular area to write.  Something about it helps us focus.  It gives us inspiration.  Not all writers work at a desk.  Some like the kitchen table.  Others prefer coffee shops.  The library.  The next step is to find where you receive the most inspiration.
At coffee shops, there’s just enough activity you can block it out.  Unless a musician is playing a really jaunty tune and you hate those, the sounds won’t intrude.  On occasion, I have experienced problems when loud teenagers sit next to me.  While having fun, they are yelling and screaming and laughing.  No one can fault them.  It’s great they’re being happy, but that’s when I leave and find a new place.  Coffee shops also offer coffee, tea, smoothies, sodas, and some ice cream.  Pick your favorite and enjoy.  Another advantage is when the creativity runs out, you can tune into the world around you and people watch.
One of the best writing tools is to listen to other people’s conversations while not being intrusive.  You can catch the words of someone being too loud.  Don’t lean in and try to listen to a whispered conversation.  That’s just creepy.  The random conversations of strangers can provide inspiration for a short story or material for your current project.
I consider my bathtub a place of inspiration.  I took a keyboard shelf off an old desk, removed the tracks on the side, and laid it across the tub.  Cue a bubble bath, occasionally a glass of wine, and I’m all set.  The additional bonus is my cats have no interest in trying to catch my pen because they are afraid of falling into the water.  Few people will disturb you in the tub.  The only down side is sometimes the hot water makes me so tired I lose interest in writing.  This is a hit or miss method for me, but when it hits I’m very productive.
Most of my writing is done at work.  After obtaining permission from my supervisors and the site managers, I am allowed to write when it does not interfere with my job duties.  This has a few down sides.  First, I’m terrified of having to fight a company I’ve worked for in court as they try to claim a bit of my income because I wrote on their time – our verbal agreement ensured my job security, not whether or not they can seek a claim.  I doubt this will ever happen and I’d win if it did, but the idea of the hassle alone is enough.  Second, my duties often interrupt a stroke of inspiration.  This not only agitates me and I am short with people who don’t deserve my attitude, but I lose the thread and I’m back to staring at the screen or paper.  It’s not the best option.  We writers must hold onto that day job for as long as possible.  Do not threaten your job security for the sake of a chapter.  If that book is never published, you have lost your job with no way to make up for the income.  However, being trapped at a desk for eight hours a day with nothing to do except wait for a vehicle to drive up to a gate so I can check their ID and record their company and vehicle information is very boring.  Writing passes the time.
I have heard of writers who rent small rooms in community centers or take over one of the group rooms in a library.  If you take a group room in the library, be very aware that you may be asked to leave when two or more people arrive and need to use it.  Be gracious because, technically speaking, the librarians could have kicked you out when you walked in and settled yourself.  They were being nice by waiting to see if others would need the space.
I also like restaurants that offer free refills on coffee.  If you go this route, please leave if the tables fill.  You are keeping the waitress or waiter from making tips.  If you insist on keeping the table, give your server enough of a tip they don’t hate you for hogging their chances to make a few more bucks.  There are times I’ve over-tipped for a cup of coffee and the refills because I’ve sat there for three hours working.  They might be struggling to succeed like you are.  I’ve run into a ton of people who are musicians or writers working in the service industry to pay their bills before they make it.
Some writers set up in rooms the size of closets for the solitude.  Others like to sit at their desk.  They walk in the park and sit under a tree.  Try many different areas.  Pick the one that makes you happiest and most productive.  Hide from friends and family if you have to.
Ultimately, you are responsible for preventing interruptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment